RE: Europa-List: Setting the wing incidence

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Setting the wing incidence
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@redzone.com.au>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 09:51:38
Will,

>  1.        The rear lift pin is vertical.  If this is correct do you
have to cut out a slot in the root rib to get it in an out?

I think your wording here may be a little confusing.  The actual lift
pin is horizontal (actually parallel to the main wing pins when viewed
horizontally) and the hole through it which accommodates the Pip Pin
locking pin is vertical.  To enable insertion and removal of the Pip
Pin, a hole needs to be cut through the upper wing surface/fairing.

 > 2.       One of my front pins won't go in all the way - still has
about 4 threads showing.  The other one goes in all the way.  How do I
get a grip of the damn thing to screw it in short of taking the mole
grips to it or cutting a slot in the top for a screw driver?

In my opinion, if the threads on the pins and in the holes are clean and
dry, you should be able to screw the pins in fully by hand.

This is what I would try:-

*

        Swap the pins from one wing to the other to determine if it is
the pin or hole at fault.
*

         If the pin screws fully into the other wing, then it is the
hole at fault so ensure the tap will easily screw fully into the hole
and that the thread in the hole contains no debris from the tapping
operation.
*        The pin may have been dropped or something may have dropped on
it and damaged the thread.  If so, in the absence of having the proper
die to restore the thread, drill and tap a hole through a 1/4" piece of
flat steel.  Using a vice with "soft jaws"*, clamp the pin tightly in
the vice and screw the 1/4" piece of steel down over the thread.  This
will allow you enough leverage to overcome a slight deformation of the
thread on the pin and will hopefully restore the thread to enable it to
be screwed back easily into the wing.

* "Soft Jaws"  eg, two pieces of 1.5" X 1.5" aluminium angle placed into
the jaws of the vice to prevent damage to the part being held.

Cheers
Kingsley in Oz