Europa-List: Re: Conventional Tail Wheel Conversion

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Conventional Tail Wheel Conversion
From: Venu Rao <venurao@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:39:29

Nigel and Graham,

Thanks for the terrific feedback. I concur that it's all about pilot experience
and personal comfort-levels. There are many of us new to the mono's, and several
who are in the latter stages of completion, and would dearly like to get some
"authorized" training and are willing to pay for it too.

The mono config is unique and elegant, but after reading several threads in the
archives about "sensitive handling" and failing to find anyone in the States
(Texas!) who can provide some transition training it has me second guessing if
I should indeed convert Jim Nelson's beautifully crafted A058 to a conventional
gear.

There seems to be a lot of ambivalence in the community on this subject, and it
could in large part be mitigated if we had some "formal" training. No doubt hull
insurance will go down with fewer accidents to sully the reputation of one
of the most beautiful a/c in aviation!

BTW - how can I get more info on Walter's elec. retract outriggers and can they
be incorporated as a post build mod?

Thanks, and looking forward to joining you in the skies soon - mono or
conventional....;)

Venu

grahamsingleton@btinte wrote:

> >  Conventional gear aircraft are not much less demanding than monowheel.
> >
> >  In my opinion too much blame is placed on the aircraft.
> >

>   I know many pilots with many hours of monowheel experience
>
> >  who haven't groundlooped their aircraft. Many never will,
> >
> >  In monowheel form the Europa still stands out as a unique aircraft in
> >  terms of grass strip operation combined with fuel efficient cruising.
> >
> >  Nigel Charles
> >

> Nigel
> I couldn't agree more. The monowheel was chosen to enable operation from
> muddy fields, and it can. There was an occasion when the grass was
> longish and the tri gear would not take off 2 up. Jon Tye's monowheel
> was used to ferry the passenger to a nearby hard strip. (Ivan was flying
> the tri)
> Walter Binder's early Classic mono was outstanding, he retracted the
> outriggers electrically into the wing, modified the cowlings and the
> windscreen. He claimed he cruised at 140kts with an 80hp 912. He also
> towed gliders with it.
> Walter is a unique character, wish I knew him but my German is not good
> enough.
> Graham

--------
Venu Rao