Europa-List: Re: Conventional Tail Wheel Conversion

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Conventional Tail Wheel Conversion
From: Ian Mansfeld <ian.mansfeld@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:08:01

I had mine converted about 3 years ago - best move ever (other than the VP prop
of course...). It just looks so nice.

I had tailwheel experience and a good check out, but I was never happy balancing
on that monowheel. As my instructor said, its not a matter of IF you will
groundloop
it, just WHEN. It might be 40 hours or 400... The defining moment came
when it was parked out overnight and I had a phone call from the airfield to
come back as 'something had happened' - it turned out that a wing leg had
collapsed
while parked! Who wants an aircraft that can't even stay upright while
standing still!

With a pair of Duncans lightweight leg fairings, there was no loss of
performance.
By fitting a set of wheel pants,  I probably only gained 3-4 knots but it
looks way better. (I used the trigear mains, which looked huge out of the box
but when fitted look in proportion. I have had many complementary comments about
how right it looks as a taildragger).

And of course ground handling is as easy as any other taildragger. I have
handled
15knot crosswinds with no issues (on grass) and the limit is me rather than
the aircraft. I self-limit to 12knots crosswind if out of practice for a while.

Ian.

Read this topic online here: