Re: Europa-List: Re: Conventional Tail Wheel Conversion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Conventional Tail Wheel Conversion
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:51:24

> Conventional gear aircraft are not much less demanding than monowheel.
>
> In my opinion too much blame is placed on the aircraft.

  I know many pilots with many hours of monowheel experience
> who haven't groundlooped their aircraft. Many never will,
>
> In monowheel form the Europa still stands out as a unique aircraft in
> terms of grass strip operation combined with fuel efficient cruising.
>
> Nigel Charles

Nigel
I couldn't agree more. The monowheel was chosen to enable operation from
muddy fields, and it can. There was an occasion when the grass was
longish and the tri gear would not take off 2 up. Jon Tye's monowheel
was used to ferry the passenger to a nearby hard strip. (Ivan was flying
the tri)
Walter Binder's early Classic mono was outstanding, he retracted the
outriggers electrically into the wing, modified the cowlings and the
windscreen. He claimed he cruised at 140kts with an 80hp 912. He also
towed gliders with it.
Walter is a unique character, wish I knew him but my German is not good
enough.
Graham