RE: Europa-List: Schengen Cross Border Flights

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Schengen Cross Border Flights
From: Mike Gregory <m.j.gregory@talk21.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:23:34
Brian,

My understanding is that you must always enter the first Schengen country
and did part from the last Schengen country at customs airfields when
travelling from or to non-Schengen countries will start.  For example,
during the 2004 Europa Club Six Nations tour, we entered France from the UK
at Le Touquet (a customs airfield, although customs did not take any
action); later, we flew from Austria to Italy without a requirement customs,
but on leaving Italy for Switzerland we had to wait while the customs
formalities were completed, except for one aircraft that was able to depart
without delay because they decided to go to France. You must, however, file
a flight plan when crossing an international boundary.  Although it is
expected that people will do this in advance, it is possible to file a
flight plan while airborne, as happened when a planned French internal
flight to Biarritz necessitated a diversion to San Sebastian in Spain when
Biarritz refused us permission to land because they were not accepting GA
aircraft at the time, which their NOTAM had not made clear.

As for the rules regarding permission for permit aircraft to fly in various
countries, there is an article by the Light Aircraft Association
(http://www.laa.uk.com/ , go to Engineering and look for "Travelling Abroad
in a Permit Aircraft" which has entries for a number of countries.  For
Spain it has:

"SPAIN

Direccion General de Aviacion Civil

Area de Inspeccion y Seguridad en Vuelo

Paseo de la Castellana 67, 28071 Madrid, Spain

No response to our original letter has been received from the Spanish
Authority. However, in

reply to a further letter from LAA they have confirmed that all home-built
and factory-built

Permit aircraft do require permission. Permission would normally be issued
on receipt of copies

of Permit to Fly documents and Certificate of Insurance.

No reply to last enquiry (06/08).

You will see from the introduction to the article that it is not always
possible to get a reply, and that many people have travelled without seeking
or obtaining permission and not had a problem.

Other members they have some more up-to-date information.  It is only to be
hoped that things will get a lot clearer under EASA.

Regards

Mike

  _____