Europa-List: Europa Club membership - off topic

Subject: Europa-List: Europa Club membership - off topic
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:09:27
To Jos and Rowland, Thank you.
        I appreciate that you have taken time to respond, and I quite agree
with you that added security is a good and necessary thing. Signing credit
card authorization receipts which have many of the cards' numbers blanked
out was an Improvement - but is still the source of theft when not so
treated, - was one improvement, the three-figure number on the back was
another.
        ..and I suppose the extra security steps in this latest attempt are
a third. However the previous two did not require that I agree to be the
subject of "various items of news and developments from time to time" (or
words to that effect). I find that to be an open and indefensible clause
which guarantees no security whatsoever.
        That was not mentioned in the replies but I feel it needs to be.
There is a limit to what the credit card can be made to do - just as there
is one to email. It cannot be made imperative, no matter what the banks and
financial institutions try to impose control.
        I regard the use of the card as an even trade - my dollars (or
whatever) for their goods - not a great privilege,  nor an immense favour -
but an even trade. The early propaganda was that the card would increase
casual and easy spending and so the merchants should be pleased to play.
Nevertheless there are many merchants in North America who refuse to accept
the card because they now must pay a greater percentage than when they
began. I cannot blame them.
        When they rescind the blackmail of forcing me to receive their
offal, I will recant - unless of course they sign an agreement to accept
mine - otherwise it is no longer an even trade. But I've made my
arrangements, so the cheque (which is still an approved and legal currency)
will arrive in pounds.
        ..no anger. I still regard my membership in the Club as a vital
adjunct to the build. and it will be for two years.
Happy landings

Ferg
A064
Eleven years and stumbling ahead