Re: Europa-List: Europa Club membership - off topic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Club membership - off topic
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:40:18

>I am here regretfully to state that I will be unable to use my VISA
>card to renew membership in the Europa Club - and thus achieve quick
>and painless extention to my membership. The reason is a new request
>of me to utilize something called a "Verify by VISA" so-called
>service.
>
>This service claims to provide additional security by my providing
>personal information

Ferg - you've obviously missed the considerable publicity that most
card issuers have generated about Verified by Visa (and other similar
schemes such as 3D Secure). Maybe you binned some fancy colour
leaflets that came along with your monthly statement?

You'll probably find that soon you won't be able to do much online
shopping without these extra layers of security. If you haven't
already set it up, the first time afer your particular card issuer
goes live with it, you'll probably get vectored off to do the setup
stuff before you can complete the purchase, unless you have
deliberately done the setup already, like it said in the glossy
leaflet earlier.

Please note that you can't renew (or join) by snail-mail unless you
remit in UK funds (pounds sterling) and the Club can now only accept
card payments on the website (for reasons explained in tooooo much
detail over several memsec columns in the newsletter).

Sorry for the extra few minutes it will take people to go through the
security hoops. The timing of the implementation is up to individual
card issuers so not everyone may see the security stuff immediately.

regards

Rowland