Re: Europa-List: Exhaust smells in the cockpit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust smells in the cockpit
From: Peter Timm <cptimm@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:14:09
Exhaust smells in the cockpitFergus,  you are so right. The high
pressure air from under the wing is forced into the rear fuselage
through the slot of the flap-tube. This makes it impossible to drain any
air from the cock-pit area out through the tail-section. I had 5 holes
of 1" diameter drilled through the D-section, before covering it with
fabric, which only got exhaust fumes to the cock-pit from the rear!.I am
now in the process of sealing the lower flap-to-fuselage junction
completely with small, shaped tabs of flexible fiber-glass and tape to
be pressed against the fuselage along the under side of the flaps. This
should also stop the outward bulging of the doors at higher speeds.
Fairings attached to the main-wheel swinging arm as well as to the
fuselage behind the wheel are nearly finished and should provide a much
better seal to the wheel-well, which has to be a main source of drag as
well. I should be able to report the results shortly.

Regards

Peter Timm, # 110