Europa-List: Exhaust smells in the cockpit

Subject: Europa-List: Exhaust smells in the cockpit
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:52:38
Cheers,
        There was a flurry of discussion when the fillets took interest,
which mentioned ingestion of exhaust through the flap slots due to various
configurations of flap (and earlier talk of CO through the wheel slot, etc.)
- and it may be so. The reason could be that the cockpit area is of too low
a pressure to prevent ingestion.
        Remembering the DC9's system, it was then clear to me that a
pressurized cabin prevented such antics - and so have tried to arrange that
the cockpit be 'over-fed' with outside air and both temp and flow be
controlled by the exit. It then would seem wise to organise larger than
normal hot AND cold influx, adjust the ratio of each for comfort and control
the total flow by outlet valve. Whether I achieve this is another thing.
Happy landings
Ferg