Re: Europa-List: Spacer for Wing Top

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Spacer for Wing Top
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:56:01
Mike-

I have the identical setup that you do and just did my skins last week.  If you
look in the build manual, it seems to say that you don't use the pacers under
the ailerons.  I didn't and I will need to trim more skin than I want to to get
the required up aileron.  If I was going to do it again, I'd probably use the
spacers under both aileron and flaps.  To attach the spacers, we cut several
pieces of packating tape, used a yellow hilighter to draw the line on the flaps,
dropped the flaps, I then held each depressor in place while my wife put
the tape across it to hold it in place.  When they were all on, we ran a couple
of thicknesses of packtaging tape the length of the flap to hold the spacers
in place.

Gotchas:  Don't forget to drill the hole for pressure relief in the last rib on
the outboard end.  Also, it does not mention it in the manual but I notice that
there is a triangular shaped area on the inboard end of the wing that will
also be sealed.  It is rather small, so may not be a problem, but I'd probably
want to put a hole in that rib too for pressure relief.  Make sure the MW-4 rod
ends are installed on the aileron bellcrank before closing and have at least
two other people confirm that you have not left any tools in the wing before
closing.  You may also want to mix the Araldite a little thicker than usual so
it will "stick to your ribs" (bad pun).  Last, don't forget to scuff sand both
surfaces well.  We just used bricks for weights and it all went fine.

Let us know how it goes.

Jim Puglise A-283

From: DuaneFamly@aol.com

Good day All,

I have a quick question.......would those people that have already bonded their
top wing skins give their opinion as to the build manual using stir sticks as
a spacer when bonding on the top skin? Is their thickness the right amount? If
I remember correctly, my stir sticks measure about .070" thick.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Duane A207A
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear
Jabiru 3300
Sensenich R64Z N
Ground Adjustable Prop

<DIV>Mike-</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have the identical setup that you do and just did my skins last
week.&nbsp;
If you look in the build manual, it seems to say that you don't use the pacers
under the ailerons.&nbsp; I didn't and I will need to trim more skin than
I want to to get the required up aileron.&nbsp; If I was going to do it again,
I'd probably use the spacers under both aileron and flaps.&nbsp; To attach the
spacers, we cut several pieces of packating tape, used a yellow hilighter to
draw the line on the flaps, dropped the flaps, I then held each depressor in
place while my wife put the tape across it to hold it in place.&nbsp; When they
were all on, we ran a couple of thicknesses of packtaging tape the length of
the flap to hold the spacers&nbsp;in place.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Gotchas:&nbsp; Don't forget to drill&nbsp;the hole for pressure relief in
the last rib on the outboard end.&nbsp; Also, it does not mention it in the
manual
but I notice that there is a triangular shaped area&nbsp;on the inboard end
of the wing that will also be&nbsp;sealed.&nbsp; It is rather small, so may
not be a problem, but I'd probably&nbsp;want to put a hole in that rib too for
pressure relief.&nbsp; Make sure the&nbsp;MW-4 rod ends are installed on the
aileron bellcrank before closing and have at least two other people confirm that
you have not left any tools in the wing before closing.&nbsp; You may also
want to mix the&nbsp;Araldite a little thicker than usual so it will "stick to
your ribs" (bad pun).&nbsp; Last, don't forget to scuff sand both surfaces
well.&nbsp;
We just used bricks for weights and it all went fine.&nbsp; &nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Let us know how it goes.&nbsp; &nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jim Puglise A-283</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px
solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>From:
DuaneFamly@aol.com
<BR>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.3268" name=GENERATOR><FONT id=role_document
face=Arial
color=#000000 size=2>
<DIV>Good day All,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have a quick question.......would those people that have already bonded
their top wing skins give their opinion as to the build manual using stir sticks
as a spacer when bonding on the top skin? Is their thickness the right amount?
If I remember correctly, my stir sticks measure about .070" thick.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks in advance.
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=0 face=Arial size=2 PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF">Mike Duane
A207A<BR>Redding,
California<BR>XS Conventional Gear<BR>Jabiru 3300 <BR>Sensenich
R64Z N<BR>Ground Adjustable Prop</FONT></DIV></DIV></FONT><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV><FONT style="FONT: 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF; COLOR: black">
<HR style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px">
Planning your summer road trip? Check out <A
title=http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016

href="http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016";
 target=_blank>AOL Travel Guides</A>.</FONT></DIV><PRE><B><FONT face="courier
new,courier" size=2 color000000?>

</B></FONT></PRE></BLOCKQUOTE>