RE: Europa-List: Epoxy Measuring - Balances vs Digital Scale vs Ratio

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Epoxy Measuring - Balances vs Digital Scale vs Ratio
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:46:40

I have been using a standard triple beam balance for years.  Very
mechanical and reliable,  Ohaus makes a  nice one with taring capability.
Just like they used in  high school science class.  Or by the stoners in
the Air Force barracks.  This was the 70's

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa AZ

Ratio Pump

> Hi, I've purchased a partially complete Europa a little over a year ago
and had to put it storage until my garage/workshop was re-vamped in order
to build the kit. It is now to a point to where I can start moving my kit
into it and start working on it.

> I have question about the different devices used to measure the epoxy and
wondering what most builders have done in the past. The cheapest of course
is to make the Europa mechanical balance which should be no problem (is it
quick and easy to use during a layup?) but I'm leaning towards either a
Ohaus / Sartorius digital scale with a resolution of 0.01gm (do I need that
much precision or can I get away with a lower cost 0.1gm unit?) OR a ratio
pump like a Glenmarc Portionator MBT-JR from A/S which is the most
expensive of the all the options (is it worth the cost for ease of use?).