RE: Europa-List: Bleeding Jamar finger brakes

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Bleeding Jamar finger brakes
From: Ivor Phillips <ivor.phillips@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:28:39
Some Jamar cylinder's had poor machining on the bores, Definitely worth
checking,      When checking the bore's also check the seals, On my
first cylinder I had mis-match seals of different materials, this
prompted me to replace all my seals with good quality ones,     When
both piston's are at rest they should be clear of a cross drilled
connection in the body of the master cylinder, check it isn't
obstructed, On the front of the piston seals are  plastic washer's these
can stick in the bores so reduce there size slightly, I have done away
with the DOT5 Silicone fluid entirely , replacing it with the DOT 5.1
glycol based fluids,  But if you do this all your seals will need
replacing including the seals in the handbrake valve and calipers,
Bleeding was as simple as putting a small funnel on top of the reservoir
filled with fluid so the master cylinder had a good head of fluid,
Undoing a caliper bleed nipple one at a time and watch the air being
expelled, The reason DOT 5 Silicone fluid is recommended is because it
is combatable with both types of rubber seals used in the Master
cylinder and Calipers/handbrake valve, If you check the archives there
is a lot of information
Regards
Ivor