RE: Europa-List: Tailplane integrity suggestion

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tailplane integrity suggestion
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:26:43

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the warning. I have already tried that out and the tubes slide
over very easily without play. I always keep the TP4's well lubricated
anyway, mainly to avoid corrosion, which I had noticed on the factory
demonstrators ; they are only nickel plated, anyway.
Aluminum makes a far better bond with epoxies than stainless steel. My TP5's
had already disbonded once from trailering.
When I removed the tailplanes after a busy flying season, I noticed that
there was no friction whatsoever between the pip pins and the assembly, so I
don't really understand all the fuss about these mysterious forces that rip
out the TP6. That accident was caused by something else entirely.

Regards,

Karl

>From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperion-ef.com>
>To: <europa-list@matronics.com>
>Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tailplane integrity suggestion
>Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:53:54 -0400
>

>Beware.  Aluminum has a tendency to gall, so if the fit is at all snug
>(which it should be) and the torque tube is not lubricated, the tailplane
>may not slide into place over the nickel plated tailplane torque tube as
>easily as it does with steel TP5/TP6. Once it jams it will be rather
>difficult to get free.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Rob Housman
>Irvine, California
>Europa XS Tri-Gear
>S/N A070
>Airframe complete
>

> >Hi George,
> >
> >I aim to replace my TP5/TP6 with a one-piece aluminum tube from ACS,
>without
> >cutting into the taillplane, but by careful heat  application. I have all
> >need to do the job, but haven't had the time to try it out, as I'm busy
> >fitting glider wings. If it works I'll write it up if anyone else wants
> >do the same.
> >
> >Karl
> >

> >>From: "G&amp;TPowell" <georgepowell@hotmail.com>
> >>To: europa-list@matronics.com
> >>Subject: Europa-List: Tailplane integrity suggestion
> >>Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 21:54:42 +0300
> >>
> >><georgepowell@hotmail.com>
> >>
> >>I received several responses to my post a few days ago concerning the
> >>binding problem I am having with my torque tube (i.e., inability to fit
> >>into TP6 bushing).  Phil advised that early versions of TP4 and the
>bushes
> >>were ground to match each other, rather that to standard drawing
> >>dimensions.  I tried the other TP4 I have (the one installed on the
>plane)
> >>and it fit better, actually allowing me to get the starboard tailplane
>all
> >>the way on TP4 on the shop bench and seated into the TP13 bushes.
> >>
> >>Unfortunately, I cannot get the tailplane on when TP4 is mounted on the
> >>fuselage, it is so tight.  When I checked the port tailplane (and opened
>up
> >>the surface to reveal the TP6 bushing) it was clear on visual inspection
> >>that the TP6 was out of alignment by at least a millimeter.  (These
> >>tailplanes were purchased from a charity which obtained them from an
> >>estate, so I do not know the provenance of the construction).
> >>
> >>I will definitely have to remove/reseat the TP6 bushing on the port
> >>tailplane, and probably the starboard as well.
> >>
> >>A thought occurred to me:  why not have a tube machined that is one
>piece,
> >>the length from TP5 inboard to TP6 outboard and replacing both those
> >>bushings, instead of 2 bushes with space between them?  Having the 2
>bushes
> >>a distance apart seems to make it likely the 2 could be installed out of
> [...]

Got a favourite clothes shop, bar or restaurant? Share your local knowledge
http://www.backofmyhand.com