RE: Europa-List: Tailplane integrity suggestion

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tailplane integrity suggestion
From: craig bastin <craigb@onthenet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 06:49:16

<<A thought occurred to me:  why not have a tube machined that is one piece,
the length from TP5 inboard to TP6 outboard and replacing both those
bushings, instead of 2 bushes with space between them?  Having the 2 bushes
a distance apart seems to make it likely the 2 could be installed out of
alignment, whereas a single tube/bushing could not possibly be.  >>

Yep I did exactly that, during construction I could see all the discussion
going on about tp6 i though it wasnt worth the stress, so down to the metal
shop found a 1m length of tube with an ID .08 of a mm different than the
tp6 ID it did have a thicker wall than original so a small countersink in
the
top allowed the pip pin to lock fully. I also having the extra length ran
the
tube into the outer foam core about 100mm or so. I epoxied the tube into the
inner foam, did the rib layup then coated the "excess" tube in epoxy and
slid
that into the outer, then glass as normal. It seems to work nicely, slides
on and off easily, no risk of damage to tp6 etc.

craig

2:02 PM