Re: Europa-List: Post cure

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Post cure
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:04:58

William, The data sheet for Ampreg 20 (the resin supplied by Europa
throughout my build) with standard hardener gives the following for
differing post cure regimes:
  Post Cure     Flexural strength    Tensile Strength.   Glass transition
Temp
   Regime                 (MPa)
5hrs @ 80 C.             159                    80
78 C.
16hrs @ 50 C.           167                    85
71 C.
4wks @ RT                126                   71
51 C.

 Clearly it's well worth while doing a 50 C. post cure, where the bits need
only simple support, as opposed to 80 C where without complex support there
is a risk of them ending up looking like a Salvador Dali painting! I did
mine by making an enclosure  from polystyrene sheets and heated by a hair
dryer, with thermometer stuck thru the polystyrene. Other resin systems I
have worked with, have much less benefit from post cure regimes and if you
are not using Ampreg it would be worth looking at the specific data sheet.
          Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ