RE: Europa-List: Post cure

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Post cure
From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperionef.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:39:45

Short answer: NO.

I have no specific information about the Aeropoxy material (there is nothing
about this on the Aeropoxy web site) but in general for epoxies (and other
thermosetting polymers)the cure temperature affects the glass transition
temperature, T sub g.  While the polymerization reaction generally behaves
in the expected fashion, i. e., longer soak at lower temperature being
somewhat equivalent to a shorter soak at a higher temperature, the critical
factor here is to have the cure temperature high enough to cure the epoxy to
a high T sub g.

The glass transition temperature is actually not a specific temperature (the
melting point of ice for example) but rather a range of temperature through
which the material transitions from being hard and glassy to being soft and
rubbery.  The higher the cure temperature the higher the glass transition
temperature, and that translates directly to a stronger airframe when
ambient temperature is high.

Jos Okhuijsen is correct on both points - cure all parts with builder
applied epoxy and cure at a temperature higher than you expect to encounter.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Irvine, California
Europa XS Tri-Gear