RE: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btclick.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:27:11

Karl

I think that when the cause is eventually discovered - it will be found to
be a combination of two or more conditions that individually, would not
cause a problem.
One Pip-Pin was found to be bent through 90 degrees, implying that one
tailplane did rotate and that TP4 remained in place. I would guess that the
TP6 remained firmly anchored to the torque tube by the pin and the rest of
the structure broke loose and rotated around it.

A few years back I witnessed a formula one fatal at Reno, right in front of
our grandstand. The aircraft suffered a tailplane flutter which resulted in
four or five violent pitch up/down cycles before the tail broke free and the
aircraft pitched into the ground. The whole incident probably took no more
than 2.5 seconds from start to sad end. The torsional load on the main wing
spars must have been phenomenal and it would be easy to understand how a
main plane could fail following a tailplane flutter.

With regard to suitable repairs. I have thought long and hard about this
(and so are the guys at the PFA) and the truth is that there is no quick
fix. Regardless of whatever method is devised to locate the tail laterally,
the fact remains that a disbonded TP5 and TP6 will prevent the tailplane
locating accurately on TP4 - and this must be addressed.
The Mod 73 Pip-pin reinforcement is a good short term fix (the sticking
plaster).

To retro-fit the tailplane mod would require that the entire tailplane be
dismantled and rebuilt .....possible, but by no means easy.
In my opinion it would be easier to build new tailplanes (and if I was in
this predicament, this would be my chosen course of action).
I quite enjoyed building mine and it didn't take that long.

How about someone (Europa 2004?) producing new tail kits (Tailplanes only)
and offer these to existing Europa owners at cost plus. I reckon they could
be produced for around 400-500 GPB ($800-$1000 USD) plus shipping. It's an
idea to keep the discussion rolling......

Nigel