Re: Europa-List: Tailplane Retention.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tailplane Retention.
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:29:02
Im not sure if we are thinking along the same lines - I mentioned this
idea before but nobody picked up on it.

A very simple solution would be to drop a long pin (9" long by about
1/4" DIA) through the top of the rib root closeout, behind the TP 12
drive plate and through the bottom closeout. This could be secured at
the bottom with a sprung split pin and would prevent any outward
movement of the tailplanes.

The pin might need to be made of a hardened material rather than mild
steel (to resist bending) - the TP12 drive plates would provide a degree
of support.

The pin would not need to pass through the TP4 torque tube itself but
could be either forward or aft of it or both - 2 pins (IHMO excessive
!!). Through the centre of the torque tube might be better but this
could weaken the torque tube - Europa/ PFA would need to look into this.

It would probably be necessary to drill holes through the TP4 flanges
(which face inboard) but I cant see this weakening the drive plates to
any significant degree.

To ensure the pin didnt pull through the glass closeout, small plates
could be bonded and riveted to the undersides of the tailplane closeouts
where the pin passes through it.

IHMO this would be a relatively cheap alternative and about as failsafe
as one could wish for. Installation time less than one hour.

Possibly a tad unsightly with the pin head protruding above the
tailplane surface (this could be recessed) but 100% effective.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS