Re: Europa-List: Article on flutter, now attached

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Article on flutter, now attached
From: DuaneFamly@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:19:24
Thoughts and questions for those that know,

I have been reading with great interest.....and concern......this flutter
thread. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the flutter the result of the

total slop anywhere in between the mass balance weight and the tailplane? The
more slop the more up and down travel distance the tailplane will be able to
move. I doubt if the mass balance weight is fluttering during this event.

Now if the weight was an integral part of the tailplane, then one could not
flutter without the other. And since the weight would be further back, the
fuselage CofG could be maintained with less total weight.

Question: Does the frequency of the flutter of a particular plane increase
and decrease with a change of airspeed? What is the failure mechanism caused by

flutter? Does the part that flutters destroy itself?

Mike Duane A207A
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear
Jabiru 3300