Re: Europa-List: Article on flutter, now attached

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Article on flutter, now attached
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:09:29

William Harrison a crit :
> Many thanks to Martin Le Poidevin at Flyer Magazine for letting us
> distribute the article on flutter, which is now attached. It is PDF
> and may be easier to read if you print it.

William and all,

Thanks for this very knowledgeable article.
By the way, balancing control surfaces directly instead of using a bob
weight on a balance arm is considered safer when practicable, especially
if the weight is evenly distributed spanwise.
I'm aware of at least two aerobatics airplanes that went down due to
aileron balance arm attachment failure followed by explosive flutter. In
one case the crew was able to bail out.

Has anyone mentioned balancing each tailplane directly with lead in the
leading edge? This would eliminate any possible slop on the balance arm
attachment points and reduce wear an tear on the torque tube.

FWIW,
Best regards,
--
Gilles,