Re: Europa-List: When to retract the flaps?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: When to retract the flaps?
From: Mike Parkin <mikenjulie.parkin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:02:26

> As regards the flaps question I totally agree that you need to get rid of
> as much drag as possible as soon as possible. However a full retraction of
> the flaps will cause the aircraft to sink (anything up to 100ft). I was
> warned by a very experienced pilot that this was not a clever thing to do
> especially at 200ft.

Carl,

With respect, if you are losing upto 100ft on flap retraction, you are not
using the best technique.

Holding the same attitude while retracting the flap will result in a
settling/sink.  However, what one should do is as the flaps are slowly
retracted, the nose is raised to compensate for the reduction in lift caused
by the change in configuration.

In my limited experience with my 914 powered Monowheel,  retracting the flap
never ceases to amaze me, the surge in performance as the wheel and flap
retract is brilliant.

regards,

Mike