Re: Europa-List: Glider winch launching and decision making

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Glider winch launching and decision making
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:55:22

Can I add one item to the pre takeoff checklist (as part of eventualities).

B for passenger briefing. How many of us tell the passenger what to expect
if the engine fails and more importantly the evacuation drill once you are
back on the ground (hopefully in one piece).

If you did the passenger briefing you would be considering the possibility
of the "donkey" quitting.

As an ex glider pilot I always looked forward to the odd cable break -  a
challenge to be savoured and learned from. At one club I used to fly from
they were a regular occurrence so when it happened they were something of a
non event.

Recently I came up with the idea of asking my "fearless" wife (who is less
afraid of flying with me than me) to tap the throttle without warning on
randomly selected takeoffs and ask me where I planned to land. It would
certainly be an effective way of practicing an engine failure.

Problem is she might tell me to fly on my own.

carl Pattinson
G-LABS