Re: Europa-List: Glider winch launching and decision making

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Glider winch launching and decision making
From: flyingphil2 <ptiller@lolacars.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:12:06

Hi,

Mark is absolutely right and as a current glider pilot I think I have one other
thing to add to that.

All UK glider pilots are trained so that when they do their pre-flight checks,
the final check they make is 'Eventualities'.  This makes them think about what
they will do if the launch goes wrong (i.e cable break on the winch or rope
break on aerotow).  The whole idea is to basically assume that something is
going
to go wrong and plan for it.  If the launch is actually successful then that's
a bonus!

So, I wonder how many power pilots plan for an engine failure shortly after take
off.  As a glider tug pilot I've become very aware of the consequences and drill
for an engine failure at 300' but even with that in mind I'm sure it would
be stressfull and a very high workload with a land ahead controlled crash if
it happens.

So, worth adding 'E' for eventualities to your pre-take off checks!

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org