Re: Europa-List: When to retract the flaps?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: When to retract the flaps?
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:59:16

> Holding the same attitude while retracting the flap will result in a
> settling/sink.  However, what one should do is as the flaps are slowly
> retracted, the nose is raised to compensate for the reduction in lift caused

> by the change in configuration

I agree.

I have learnt also to do it (retracting)
almost immeadiately after take-off.
By doing it slowly /gently it is easy & safe.
No notable height loss at all.
Our Europa (Mono of course!) is a real performer
as a clean (clean only!!!)  - so it must be clean asap after take-off.

> In my limited experience with my 914 powered Monowheel,  retracting the flap

> never ceases to amaze me, the surge in performance as the wheel and flap
> retract is brilliant.

In my VERY limited experience (912S), just confirm, REALLY.

One can ask: what to do if emergency landing gear retracted
(when doing "too early" in  take-off)?

"So what" is my answer! It is easy and fast to lower and in the other
hand, Europa has a slippery boat-like-body to land w/o gear.

Happy landings.

Regards, Raimo