Re: Europa-List: re:propeller optimization

Subject: Re: Europa-List: re:propeller optimization
From: William Mills <william@wrmills.plus.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 08:18:28

Fred / Graham,
I believe the ideal combination for a constant speed prop would be a
Woodcomp hub, Arplast blades and a Smart Avionics controller, for the
following reasons:  The Woodcomp SR 3000 hub is very well engineered and is
half the price of the Airmaster, the latest Arplast blades PV55 have a slim
aerofoil with plenty of twist (hub to tip) to cope with cruise speeds of 120
/130 Kts (about 24 degs is required) and the Smart Avionics controller is
very good and extremely reliable.
I am trying to persuade Woodcomp to manufacture 100% composite blades for
their SR 3000, so that they can build in more twist with a slimmer aerofoil.
Their current blades have wooden cores with a carbon skin, which makes them
a bit bulky and limits the amount of twist, because of grain run-out.  They
also produce a very good leading edge protection.
Regards,
William