Re: Europa-List: Thank you, John Lawton.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Thank you, John Lawton.
From: Jeff B <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 16:44:35
Steve,

My understanding is that preventing the air going over the flap, in
cruise, reduces drag, resulting in higher cruise speed, which I have
experienced.  I don't have the engineering background to completely
understand what is happening to the wing, in flight.  That's why I
depend on the guys on the list to keep me straight.  I'm more of a "try
it and see" kinda guy... :)  John's advice is based on the success that
the glider guys have had, sealing the gaps.  It seems to have worked on
Baby Blue, as well.  Continued testing will tell to what degree of
advantage the seals make.  It may very well prove that the extra few
knots is not worth the float upon landing.  I won't know until I satisfy
myself that I've explored all the angles (and strip widths)... ;)

Jeff