Re: Europa-List: surging engine on take-off

Subject: Re: Europa-List: surging engine on take-off
From: kbcarpenter@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 15:04:18
The fuel pressure was constant  around 24 with both pumps on.  The hoses look
attached
and in good shape.  The throttle lines are as they have been for four
years and 430 hours.  I do not have a stop for the 100 percent power but have
a manifold guage which I did not look at.
It puzzles me that the ground run-up did not reproduce the surg.
ken

From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@ac-grenoble.fr>

> ken carpenter a crit :
> > Yesterday taking off, the engine surged as the turbo kicked in it went
> > up to 5700 RPM then dropped back into the 4800 range. I tried several
> > runs but aborted the take-off as it continues to surge. Checked the
> > prop governor and it checked out as functioning correctly.; Took the
> > cowl off and the turbo arm seems to cycle correctly when the master
> > turned on and the throttle cycled. Tied the plane down and ran it up
> > to 5700 rpm. It did not surge at all.
> > Any idea? I have not tried to fly it again yet.
>
> Ken,
>
> Of course this may be the first thing you checked, but an incorrect
> rigging of the throttles may lead to boost irregularities when in the
> 100/115 % throttle opening range.
> What you are describing reminds me of what COULD happen if the throttles
> are not in the full 115% position, and are stuck somewhere between about
> 108 and 115%.
> Do you have the required 100% gate on the throttle lever ?
>
> Best regards,
> Gilles
> http://contrails.free.fr

<DIV>The fuel pressure was constant&nbsp; around 24 with both pumps on.&nbsp;
The
hoses look attached and in good shape.&nbsp; The throttle lines are as they
have been for four years and 430 hours.&nbsp; I do not&nbsp;have a stop for the
100 percent power but have a manifold guage which I did not look at.&nbsp;
</DIV>
<DIV>It puzzles me that the ground run-up did not reproduce the surg.</DIV>
<DIV>ken&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px
solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>From: Gilles Thesee
&lt;Gilles.Thesee@ac-grenoble.fr&gt; <BR><BR>&gt; --&gt; Europa-List message
posted by: Gilles Thesee <GILLES.THESEE@AC-GRENOBLE.FR><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ken
carpenter a crit : <BR>&gt; &gt; Yesterday taking off, the engine surged as the
turbo kicked in it went <BR>&gt; &gt; up to 5700 RPM then dropped back into
the 4800 range. I tried several <BR>&gt; &gt; runs but aborted the take-off as
it continues to surge. Checked the <BR>&gt; &gt; prop governor and it checked
out as functioning correctly.; Took the <BR>&gt; &gt; cowl off and the turbo
arm seems to cycle correctly when the master <BR>&gt; &gt; turned on and the
throttle
cycled. Tied the plane down and ran it up <BR>&gt; &gt; to 5700 rpm. It
did not surge at all. <BR>&gt; &gt; Any idea? I have not tried to fly it again
yet. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Ken, <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Of
 course
 =====