RE: Europa-List: Sea Survival Equipment

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Sea Survival Equipment
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:29:58

As someone who has done military sea survival training and aerial search
training over the sea I have the following comments:

1. Even with temperatures as warm as 12degC it doesn't take long before
dexterity is affected enough to prevent you doing the simplest of tasks.
2. Staying dry is the best way of increasing the chances of preventing
hypothermia. A dinghy helps but a survival suit is better.
3. Visual acquisition of even a 26 man liferaft in anything but the
smoothest of sea conditions is difficult so don't rely on being found by
visual searching in a small dinghy. A floating aircraft may be better
but white aircraft are far from ideal in this respect.
4. A friend of mine ditched in the English Channel in the month of
October (the best month for water temperature is September). He was in
the water for only 35 minutes and spent 2 days in hospital overcoming
hypothermia. He had a dinghy but it failed to inflate. He had no
ELT/PLB, the aircraft sank in 2 minutes and he was only found because
the helicopter saw the heat return from his head on a thermal imaging
camera. This all took place just 2 miles off the coast of the Isle of
Wight.
5. As a result of all this we use survival suits. They certainly weigh
less than a dinghy. They are less likely to fail. If you get out of the
aircraft they are keeping you dry immediately. Some cases of ditching
resulted in the dinghy not being extracted before the aircraft sank. The
suits are a little bulky - slight lengthening of straps required.
Comfort has not been a problem, especially if you fly at altitude or
with the vents open. I have taken off with an OAT of 33degC and was soon
comfortable at altitude.
6. I have a PLB but need to update to better modern technology. I also
carry my handheld VHF in a waterproof bag as a back up.
7. If the aircraft doesn't sink it provides a basic form of protection
as well as being a location aid. Those with significant amounts of foam
within them have an advantage in this respect.
8. On the day I would suggest the following precautions:
        a. Be continually aware of where your nearest suitable piece of
land    is for an emergency landing.
        b. Know the approximate glide range of the aircraft in case of
engine  failure.
        c. Fly as high as practicable consistent with VFR to increase
glide   range, range for communications and time for exact position
fixing in       the event of engine failure.
        d. Note position of smaller boats as you fly past them. Large
ships,  even if you are spotted, take an age to stop and are difficult
to      manoeuvre.
        e. Brief your passenger. How many of you take note of the
emergency       briefing on an airliner?
        f. Do not assume the engine will fail in the case of loss of oil
or      coolant. One Europa has flown half way across the Channel after
total   loss of oil pressure. Better to ruin the engine rather than risk
your    life from ditching.
        g. Check all engine T's and P's before coasting out.

There must be many more things I have missed out. Perhaps someone can
add to my list.

Nigel Charles