Re: Europa-List: Sea Survival Equipment

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Sea Survival Equipment
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:10:53

Carl, I think your 20 mins survival in the channel is pessimistic. Current
sea temp in the channel is around 11 C at which death from hypothermia is
said to be unlikely in less than 90 mins - and this is close to the coolest
sea water temp of the year. There is much interesting info on ditching and
survival times vs water temp on http://www.equipped.org/ditchingmyths.htm
together with the  linked pages. A dinghy doesnt need to weigh more than 10
lbs, although a survival kit may add to that, and I would personally carry
one for long or cold sea crossings, but not for a summer short channel
crossing. I do also carry a McMurdo Paines Fastfind Plus PLB attached to my
person.
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ