RE: Europa-List: Fw: Rotax 912s Benchmark Performance

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fw: Rotax 912s Benchmark Performance
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 07:33:11
The figures you supply are interesting in that they show relative fuel
consumption with different power settings. The absolute figures will
obviously change a bit for an aircraft in the air with the change on
prop loads for the aircraft flying at speed. For what it is worth in
practical terms I found the following relevant.

Using a variety of throttle and prop settings I came to the following
conclusions:

1.      Despite the fact that the minimum drag speed is given as 75kts
the aircraft seems to be a lot happier in terms of angle of attack once
it is above 100kts. I doubt that there is much to be gained flying
slower than this.
2.      With that in mind I used two speeds to compare fuel flows:
105kts and 120kts IAS
3.      At 120kts the difference between 4500rpm and 5000rpm gave
negligible differences in fuel flow as greater throttle settings were
needed at 4500rpm.
4.      At 105kts there was a 1.5litres/hr benefit from using 4500rpm
over 5000rpm.
5.      Although the fuel flow is significantly lower at 105kts the
better overall economy is not much better because you fly 15nm less in
any given hour.

The engine gives better fuel flows with lower OAT so I generally found
it worthwhile climbing to 7000-8000ft in hot weather to get cooler air
into the engine. Some day I must do some comparison figures up there as
well.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards

Nigel Charles