Re: Europa-List: Ground Plane

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ground Plane
From: Justin Kennedy <justin@systemwise.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:16:37
I like to think I saved weight in constructing a backplane for my
transponder aerial by using tin foil. I constructed a flat 12" by 14"
backplane using two layers of bid, On a glass surface I put one layer
down and then some drinking straws across for stiffening and then a
second layer. This produced a flat surface which I then covered with
cooking tinfoil. The aerial was mounted in the middle and the whole lot
stuck to the inside wall of the fuselage as far back as was practical.
It needed two legs made from rolled up paper with scraps of bid wound
round them to support it inboard. This has worked well, needs no
maintenance and is not too heavy. I suspect the weight saving is minimal
but the backplane is huge and works well.

Merry Christmas and safe flying to all.

Justin Kennedy

G-ZTED