Europa-List: Ground Plane

Subject: Europa-List: Ground Plane
From: AlStills <astills@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:25:21

Hi all,
I've been having a little problem with ATC reading my transponder all the
time. I suspect a bit of shadowing.. I have the 2 1/2"-3" transponder
antenna mounted
upside down on a shelf on the rear corner of the baggage bay. I have a 6"
steel ground plane mounted to the antenna. What size ground plane have
others used
successfully and where is your antenna mounted.  ATC reads me better out of
KGEU with a feed from Luke AFB while KDVT (where I'm hangered) gets their
feed
---From Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. By far KDVT is worse than KGEU. I know
there is difference in the feed from the different radars but need to get
rid of most of the
shadowing if possible. Sure would make me more presentable to the guys at
KDVT. (One of the busiest GA ariports in the nation)
Have about 8 hrs on the plane now and the grin is still in place. Gets even
bigger the more I fly!

Al Stills
N625AZ