Re: Europa-List: Ground Plane

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ground Plane
From: Michael Grass <M.Grass@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:43:22
Very bad advise!!!

The Bob Archer Antenna is a "dipole" antenna and is similar in design as
your Com antenna if built like suggested in the Europa manual. The 2 1/2
inch antenna is a monopole antenna and needs a ground plane of either
51/2 inch diameter or at least 27 inch or greater. Everything between or
smaller is bad.

I would be concerned about all metal within the close proximity of the
antenna. I am thinking of fuel lines, flap actuator, hard point out of
metal in the fuselage etc.. You should be fine if you keep any metal
pieces (could be even a length of your AWG24 wire) of the size of 21/2
inches or greater at least 6 inches away. The ideal ground plane is any
metal circular in shape with 5 1/2 inch diameter and the monopole
antenna sticking through the hole and points downwards. You have to have
a very low resistance between the outer part of your BNC connector and
the ground plane.

Hope that helps.

Michael Grass
A266 Trigear