Europa-List: Re: Flight testing and Airmaster controller

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Flight testing and Airmaster controller
From: Troy Maynor <wingnut54@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:58:31

Steve,
It is always encouraging to read of sucess with the monowheel. I am still
working on mine when I can and have been tempted to try and change over to a
trike gear even though the extra time and cost. I will fly as a mono and see
then. I had some questions for you if you don't mind;
How much tail dragger time did you have before the Europa?
Did your insurance cost more because of the retractable gear and it also
being a tail dragger?
Did you get Europa specific training before you flew yours?
Thanks for the help and encouragement.
Troy Maynor
N120EU Europa Monowheel Classic
Left to finish:
Paint,interior,engine install, wiring.
Weaverville, NC USA

From: "Steve Hagar" <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Subject: Europa-List: Flight testing and  Airmaster controller

Twenty hours are on the plane now.  Was out yesterday for 2 and a half hours
and
burned 9.1 gallons of gas.  Landings in  the mon-wheel are becomming a
non-event.
Eight T&g's and 1 full stop resulted in no hair raising events.
Concentration
on the task at hand was all that was required.  Now  flying with only
one aboard results in very impressive performance.  Take offs only require
giving
it the gas and keeping it straight.  It leaps off the ground the moment back
pressure is taken off of the stick.  Clean stalls are straight and true with
plenty of warning.  Dirty stalls require some footwork to keep from falling
off on a wing.  No worse than a  152 I had been in.  CO levels have been
going
down with each minor mod.  Latest mod:  I removed the  access door on the
bottom
of the fuselage for the gascolator and sump drains under the rear baggage
bay.  This was replaced by a reverse scoop.  If CO is coming in through the
flap slots this is in position to suck  it right out
 again.  Did this after flyling with Bob Lindsay in a Liberty.  There are 2
scoops
under the Liberty fuselage right about where my gascolator  door is.  It was
real convenient to do this already having a hole under my plane.  The scoop
is pretty unobtrusive under there.

Squawks:  Still need to fix my right strobe,  think the cheap wire I used is
breaking
down under the high voltage.  Strobe light and  power supply is good, and
multimeter shows continuity to the wing tip, though no strobe flashing.
Kuntzleman
has  a wingtip strobe light harness I am planning to pull through the
wing.
                      The Airmaster controller is no regulating the
propellor
in automatic mode.  Manual switch works fine at controlling pitch.  The
fuse
at the  back side of the controller was reset.  All wiring appears tight and
secure.
The  slip ring contacts and wiring looks good.  Has any one dealt with
this?  Are there any other bench test other than those noted in the  book?
Do
all of these things have to be sent to NZ to be checked out?  Does anyone
know
of  any US service reps?

Steve Hagar
A143