Re: Europa-List: Re: Flight testing and Airmaster controller

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Flight testing and Airmaster controller
From: Niels Kock <nielskock@get2net.dk>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:55:59

Hi Hans and Troy and others waiting for the Mono-baptism.

Believe me: don't waste one minute worrying about the lenght of the spindly
outrigger legs. As long as they
are according to the builder's manual it doesn't matter one bit whether both
weels are resting on the ground
or are a couple of cm above the dirt. As soon as you apply power and are
accellerating down the runway,
concentrating on keeping straight the airflow will stabilize the wings, and
you won't notice that your under-
carriage is a little different from those with dangling airbrakes
permanently locked in the dwn. position.
And once safely airborne you will enjoy the feeling of acceleration when you
retract flaps and wheels.

As many Mono-owners have probably mentioned before in these pages even the
first landing is a thing to
look forward to and not to dread. Why? Because you will most likely be more
concentrated than ever before
which is definitely a helpful thing in that situation. Again, the
outrigger-wheel configuration is NOT a problem
as long as you tap-dance your rudder-pedals eagerly, keeping the little
beauty straight.
There is even a very good chance that your first landing in your very own
Europa will be one of the best
you have made, very likely better than many of the subsequent ones.

How do I know this? Because that is exactly what happened to me one glorious
day July 12 .1999.
Will it ever ground-loop? Not neccessarily if that initial level of
concentration is present during each and
every landing that marvellous little thing.
I shall not boast that I have never groundlooped. I have, once, because I
allowed myself to relax after a memorable,
but successful landing. It happened about 3 years ago when I arrived home
---From a PFA rally at Kemble.
The wind was gusting to 40 Kts around the Airport (Odense, DK), and finals
were bumpy, to put it mildly, but
all went well. Until I, wery content with myself, crossed the apron 90
degrees to the gale, taxying a trifle fast, I
must confess, the hangar 200 meters away beckoning. One of the 40 knotters
noticed my smugness and slammed
the tail of my poor ODA, swinging her round, dipping her nose and smashing
her propeller.
It could have been avoided with more contration! And it had nothing to do
with landing the mono.
So, enjoy.

Niels Kock