RE: Europa-List: FW: Was re:- Oil Cooler Thermostat ....now "fit for pur

Subject: RE: Europa-List: FW: Was re:- Oil Cooler Thermostat ....now "fit for purpose
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:36:49

Hi Bob,

In case you don't already have this link, here is the location of our
write-up for the cowl cooling mods, etc.  Just look at the 'engine
compartment cooling' section.

http://terryseaver.home.comcast.net/N135TD_mods.htm

It has been commented that not all aircraft are alike in their cooling
issues, which I'm sure is quite true.  The 912S installation acts
differently from the 914, and the mono-wheel quite different from the
tri-gear.  Never-the-less, I believe the cowl mods we made might be
useful for all installations using the factory XS cowl, in that our mod
forces cooling air to pass, top-to-bottom, around the cylinders and out
the rear.  Without the baffle behind the engine (and the louvers closed
off), cooling air just passes behind the engine instead.  Remember, the
Rotax has liquid cooled heads, BUT air cooled cylinders, which implies
to me the need for baffling under the cowl similar to that done on
air-cooled LyCo-saurs.

Regards,
Terry