Europa-List: oil thermostat vs cowl flap

Subject: Europa-List: oil thermostat vs cowl flap
From: Rémi Guerner <air.guerner@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:35:10
Hello Nigel,

Thank you for your comments on my inlet cowl flap you saw in Vichy. Some ad
ditional information: the lower position is to be used on the ground only.
The flap must be raised to the neutral position just before take-off. If yo
u don=99t, it is very difficult to actuate in flight due to  the huge
 aerodynamic forces.  From neutral to the upper position, it can be adjuste
d at will in flight to control the CHT and oil temperatures: especially use
ful in winter.

Regards

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, XS S/N395 monowheel,  912S, Airmaster, 435 hours

When I was at Vichy this year I met one of our French owners (sorry I
forgot his name). He has a very clever inlet cowl flap. It is part of
the lower cowl in front of the radiators and has a hinge at the rear of
it. In very hot weather it is lowered below the normal cowl allowing
more cooling air in. In cold weather it is raised impeding airflow to
the radiators. This is all controlled from the cockpit so that inflight
adjustments can be made.