RE: Europa-List: Europa Club Outrigger Pivot Bearing Mod

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa Club Outrigger Pivot Bearing Mod
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:18:55

As the designer of this mod I have a few timely comments.

First of all we are looking at updating this mod. The reason is that
even using 4130 steel tube for the inner tubing it has a tendency to
distort crating drag on the outer tube and causing the pivot to revert
to the original arrangement. The future version will use an AN5 bolt
instead of the AN4 bolt and inner tube. The bolt will be prevented from
rotating by locating the head in a V shaped recess in a plate riveted on
the outside of the side plate. An AN5 castellation nut will be used to
retain the bolt. For UK builders the original prototype version of this
update will need approval by the PFA, but assuming I have no problems
with it, I am sure that Andy Draper will allow PFA inspectors to sign
off the work. I intend to update my aircraft in January and will report
when it has final approval.

In the meantime anyone purchasing parts can anticipate being able to
copy my update by purchasing the following:

100mm length of 3/8" stainless tube (wall thickness suitable to
accommodate an AN5 bolt
2 AN5 bolts (length to match outside width between side plates with
castellation nut fitted)
2 AN5 castellation nuts with split pins
4 thin AN5 sized washers to fit either side of the leg
2 pieces of aluminium plate to locate bolt head
4 rivets to attach aluminium plate to sideplate
Small quantity of Redux to fix the stainless tube

Once I have measured up I will be able to provide a more specific list
of the parts required.

Regards

Nigel Charles