Re: Europa-List: Re: Taildragger conversion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Taildragger conversion
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:22:01

Glenn,

Your thoughtful and descriptive narrative is much
appreciated...particularly your emphasis on the outrigger lengths and
tire pressure and your description of that "zone of stability". I
logged 70 hours learning to fly in a Cub plus 560 hrs in my Stinson
108. I feel very comfortable w/ taildraggers and love to cross control
and just nail the upwind wheel to the runway in a crosswind. I'm
reluctant to discard all the excellent (and expensive!) Europa mono
hardware and go out and spend $4k+ for the taildragger conversion. But
for $175, I get the conversion plans along w/ some minimal hardware
which, if installed prior to bonding in the cockpit module (with a
weight penalty of about 4 lbs.), would make future conversion a piece
of cake. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I still have much to do before
biting any bullets.

Fred
A194