Re: Europa-List: Re: Taildragger conversion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Taildragger conversion
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:30:07

Hey Fred!
  I really think your'e getting all concerned over nothing.  With the 18 lb
tire pressure
and the outriggers at the right height so all four wheels are solidly on the
ground
when taxiing, the mono has very sweet handling on takeoff and landing.  I
think a
lot of pilots have trouble with the mono because of a combination of too
high a
tire pressure and too short an outrigger length letting the plane sway from
side to
side on an imperfect touchdown.
  I had a landing the other day with a passenger and 18 mph crosswinds and
it set
down just beautifully with no swerving.  I prefer the standard Cessna
technique of
cross controlling down short final with the windward wing dipped holding
opposite rudder to line up with the runway.  The tail touched first, then
the
outrigger, followed immediately by the main.  There is a "zone of stability"
I think
with the mono that I have not seen with other taildraggers.  I just rode
with a
buddy in a Mustang II and there was a fair bit of wild fishtailing right
after touch
down even with no wind that I just don't get with the mono.  Maybe I'm just
a super pilot (yeah thats it!) but probably not as I came from flying a 172.
  The only time you really have to watch it on the mono is if you raise the
tail
too soon with a port side crosswind.  The plane will veer to the left but
still
catchable with the rudder if you raise the tail too soon but you might
easily need
all of it.  The solution of course is to keep the tail down longer and raise
it slowly.
  This behaviour is very common in any taildragger of course.

                                             Glenn