Re: Europa-List: Moving fiberglass

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Moving fiberglass
From: A B Milne <milneab@onetel.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:54:40

The version of the wrinkling or waving of the fuselage skin on my aircraft was
below the filler and before the joint line of the fuselage halves.  It was
caused by the fuel tank permanently distorting by the weight of fuel and
pulling on the filler tube via the 'flexible' hose.  The builder's manual
instructs the builder to strap this filler tube to the fuselage skin in the
wrinkled area.  The cure was to cut this strap and free the tube from the
fuselage.  The wrinkles came out over a period of days in hot weather (for the
UK: max about 32C). So far after 3 months I have seen no other effects around
the filler and the filler to fuselage seal.

Alasdair Milne G-CBYN