RE: Europa-List: Moving fiberglass

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Moving fiberglass
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:53:15
During the 6 yr build in AZ it recieved that of curing and more.  However the
curing
they are talking about is the post curing done on the fiberglassyou lay
up.   The gelcoated fuselage and wings are basically fully processed  once you
get them.  Other than the fiberglass bits and pieces you add to them.

Steve Hagar
hagargs@earthlink.net

Sent: 9/12/2006 1:35:24 PM

Steve-

This was one of the topics discussed in the Aeropoxy forum at Oshkosh this year.
They are a big proponent of post-curing prior to painting.  They claim that
all fiberglass should be post-cured.  I am a long way from being an expert; that
is why I was in the forum.  They suggest something like 140 degrees for several
hours.  Those of us living in the heat (AZ, FL, etc.) could probably get
there by putting the pieces in the attic for a day.  You may want to talk to
them about your problem.  The other thing they pointed out is that most of the
organizations selling their, and other, products are not well qualified to
address
problems such as print through.  You may want to try contacting them and
see if they have a fix prior to doing anything.

Jim Puglise, A-283
From: "Terry Seaver (terrys)" <terrys@cisco.com>

Hi Steve,

I believe what you are seeing is what I have been calling print-thru, not
heat/expansion
related.  Print-thru happens on foam cored surfaces that have something
glassed to its back, like the fiber glass reinforcing for your fuel filler
neck.  As your plane ages, you will find more print-thru on the fuse and wings.

regards,
Terry Seaver