Re: Europa-List: landinglight.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: landinglight.
From: JEFF ROBERTS <jeff@rmmm.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:56:23
Jim,
The light was purchased from Wicks Aircraft supply. The item number is

HIDL14. It has a ballast that I mounted on the side of the lower cowl.

It is a gas light so you will never burn it out and it only uses 2.5
amps. I just used it this evening at dusk and it really lights up the
runway. Of course the price lights up the wallet quite well but I
thought it was worth to keep from needing another alternator.
As far as drawings go... I'm sorry I cannot help you. All I did was cut

into the cowl to where the top of the light fit then continued to cut
until the whole light fit without touching the engine and without
coming out close to the prop. When I had it where I wanted it, I got
the clay out and started forming the flange you see. Put tape & release

agent on then laid up 4 ply's of bid over it. After curing I removed
the flange trimmed it up and used the green stuff to bond it back on
the lower cowl. After filling and sanding a few times it was one with
the cowl. I then made the horse shoe piece you see around the bottom of

the light to hold the bulb in place using the same process.  Then I
laid in some 2 inch bid tapes, 4 ply's thick, behind the bulb to screw

it in to and hold it from the back. Which allowed adjustment of the
hight of the light. Sorry but with such a limit on my time I didn't do

much documentation or any drawings.
Just get the bulb and get out the clay and the rest will come to you. I

hope this helps.
Regards,
Jeff
A258 Gold Rush.