Re: Europa-List: landinglight.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: landinglight.
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:52:20

Hi Ron

Sorry for delay - I was a week in
an archipelago having a camp school
with 23 about 11 years old kids,
among them my daughter Arla...

Landing light: it is installed through
light alloy air duct below prop. It
is looking up (7 degrees!) when on
the ground (monowheel!) but about
levelled when flying some day. High
voltage ballast has been installed on the
firewall front of the pilots legs. By the
way I fixed that Xenon by extraordinary
way. No bolts and nuts at all - only by
Sikaflex 221 adhesive sealant system
(I hardly can wait when my supervisor
will see it!). The distance to the silencer
is about 30 mm and I am little worried.
Maybe I have to put some heat barrier
between them.

Taxi light: it is installed on the co-pilot
side fire wall (yes - inside the cowlings!).
It is lurking through that extra Naca inlet
which locates stbd side, lower cowling
(I have no turbo so I hope it is extra for me!).
The ballast is fixed on the side stiffener of the
cooling air duct. When on the taxi position,
the hottest spot of that light beam is about
15 metres front of the plane.

I was there playing games with them last night
and really they were like sun itself - two of them.

I estimate those 35 W Xenons are equal like 500 W
halogen lights in my work shop. The light beam
reaches more than 100 m /300 feets. Still I can
keep my hand on the glass of the Xenon w/o burn,
it is almost cool.

Noise problem? I suppose you are talking about
radio problems or what? Honestly I do not know
yet, my radios has been tested before Xenons.
When connecting on the Xenons man can hear
quite a sexy sound for a while but not very long,
unfortunately.

I took some pics and let you know the link soon,
hope tomorrow.

My highly recommendation...

Regards, Raimo
==========
Raimo M W Toivio

OH-XRT Europa XS Mono #417
OH-CVK C172 Skyhawk
OH-BLL Beechcraft C45 w radial engines (grounded)

37500  Lempaala
Finland
tel + 358 3 3753 777
fax + 358 3 3753 100