Re: Europa-List: Skydrive on/off control

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Skydrive on/off control
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 12:09:29

Tim,

That is what I thought, but it is actually not true.
When on the ground, and you have a long taxi run, especially on a grass
field and/or on a very hot day, the hot coolant will cause the fuel to boil
in the carburator bowls. You can easily verify this by looking at the clear
carb vent tube through the stbd cowling door, and you will see the fuel
bubbling up into the airbox. You will not be able to start your engine at
this stage as the carbs are flooded. I've proven it by putting a clamp on
the coolant hose to stop circulation. The local Rotax agent educated me
about the Skydrive. He also claims that because the added collar moves the
carburator further from the engine, it contributes to vibration problems.
And lastly, I don't believe that hot air and hot fuel going into the
combustion, does not affect engine performance. You have a 914, so you
wouldn't know.

Best regards,

karl