Re: Europa-List: Skidded turn traffic pattern stall video

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Skidded turn traffic pattern stall video
From: William Mills <william@wrmills.plus.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:30:41

William
You probably would be safe if the nose was kept low, but to maximise the
sink rate in a sideslip or slipping turn, the nose needs to be raised above
the horizon.
In a glider I suspect the wings are long enough and the fuselage slim enough
for the shielding effect (that Graham mentions) not to cause the trailing
wing to stall.  I have intentionally abused gliders in both slipping turns
and sideslips (at a safe height) without experiencing any undesirable
results.  However, in the case of the Europa with short wings and a
relatively large fuselage, I can appreciate Graham's point that it might tip
towards the trailing wing if the manoeuvre is taken to the extremes.
Although I have comfortably sideslipped my Europa on many occasions, when
too high on the approach, without any problems, I will have to do some
experimenting at a safe height, of course, to see what happens if I take it
to the extremes!
Hope that helps,
William