RE: Europa-List: Monowheel, gear warning or just GUMP?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Monowheel, gear warning or just GUMP?
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 01:51:36

Hey Ron!
  I have been flying the mono 5 years now and have not had a single incident
where
I forgot to put the gear down.  It is the first thing I do on the landing
checklist and
I check it again on short final.  The retract handle is also the up/down
indicator.  Also,
the aircraft is very hard to slow down to 65 - 70 mph without dropping the
flaps and
you would never see the runway to do the approach (unless you were doing 100
plus!)
I think one would have to get extremely confused to blow it but maybe
someone could
manage it!  I did have one takeoff where I forgot to retract the flaps/gear
but I climbed
1000 ft easily before noticing.  I also have no stall warner or stall strips
although I think the
talking ASI would be nice.

                                                       Glenn