Re: Europa-List: Monowheel, gear warning or just GUMP?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel, gear warning or just GUMP?
From: William Mills <william@wrmills.plus.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:22:50

Tony,
 I know of five monos that have landed wheel up and two of those pilots had
over 1000 hours in their Europas when it happened, so I recommend an
"undercarriage not down" warning for peace of mind if nothing else.
I have Jim Naylor's system of a warning siren at below 70 kts and it works
very well.  Thank you Jim.  Before that I had micro switches on both under
carriage and throttle, so that if you closed the throttle when the wheel is
not down the siren activated, but that can be annoying when you are not
landing!  However, better than nothing.
Best wishes,
William