RE: Europa-List: N40SH (A143) Flies

Subject: RE: Europa-List: N40SH (A143) Flies
From: G-IANI <giani@ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:17:49
Nice to hear you are flying and good luck.  Irene and I have just got to
55 hours on G-IANI (914 and Airmaster).  I hope the comments below might
be helpful.

1)   We have not had any CO problems.  We have removable panels over the
two holes above the rudder plies.  We also have a good seal on the
rudder pedal shafts where they pass through the foot wells.  As far as
possible the cockpit is sealed from air entering in unwanted places.
This includes a sticky label over the hole in the throttle quadrant.

2) The flap tube slots (and possibly the elevator trim tab slots) cause
the whole of the rear of the aircraft behind the "D" panel to be above
cockpit pressure.  Your " two through vents in the aft baggage bay D
panel" probably have air coming in from the rear REDUCING the flow
through the NACA vents.  Try some wool tuffs on them.  We are
experimenting with a vent in the "D" panel ducted to the fin closeout
(ie the area the rudder swings in).  The area of the duct is 4 square
inches).  The logic for this is that (Andy Draper and I)  think this is
a low pressure area due to the venturi effect of the airflow over the
fin/rudder boundary.  Subjectively this seems to work. Were before we
had little flow through the NACA vents below 100 Knots, we now have a
steady flow at all airspeeds.  I have remove the eyeball vents we had
(area 2 square inches) and just left the open holes (about 4 square
inches).  I want to try and get some pressure and flow reading  with and
without the duct but have not yet had the opportunity.  If you are
interested in this I can forward photos of what we have done.

Ian Rickard  #505 G-IANI XS Trigear
Europa Club Mods Rep (Trigear)
e-mail mods@europaclub.org.uk
   or direct g-iani@ntlworld.com