Re: Europa-List: RE: Wing drop in the stall

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: Wing drop in the stall
From: Bryan Allsop <bryan@blackballclub.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:46:31

Regarding your question. "do XS wings have the same behaviour?"

In 1998 I had my free demonstration flight prior to purchasing my kit (360).
Ivan was the demo pilot for the day. Interestingly, he told me that mine was
the sixth kit purchase of the day, but that is beside the point.

It so happened that it was the first week of selling the XS instead of the
Classic as it bacame known. Ivan was really keen to show the benign nature
of the stal characteristics with the XS wing. He set the airspeed to stall
with power on, and with hands off he allowed the aircraft fly on just using
rudder. amazingly it flew level, nodding it's way through stall and
recovery, as he gently navigated in gentle turns just using rudder. He did
this with and without flap.

Try that with a Cessna!......No don't! In fact he did advise me not to try
it myself.

I was completely sold. Subsequent experience over the last six years has
confirmed the stall qualities of the XS to me. I stall it frequently for the
fun of it and the practice. I can honestly say that I have never had a wing
drop, and I can fly in the stall condition, but I would not attempt any
turns whilst doing it.